Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Re: Kaliningrad, Lithuania and the EU
Date: Aug 22, 2002 @ 09:47
Author: Peter Smaardijk (Peter Smaardijk <smaardijk@...>)

I think the general idea here is a border dispute that could get out of
hand (i.e. between neighbours that aren't particularly nice towards
eachother). Even the Netherlands and Germany have a boundary dispute
(in the Eems river estuary). Surely not such disputes are meant.

I don't think that it is a very firm requirement, and it certainly
doesn't apply to countries that are already members. The requirement
seems to have been thought up with a possible EU-membership of Turkey
in view (border trouble with Greece). I don't know whether this
requirement has been mentioned by the EU in connection with Lithuania
becoming a member, or that it is just Russia here bringing it up.

Peter S.