Subject: Imia, was Re: Perejil
Date: Jul 12, 2002 @ 11:05
Author: anorak222 ("anorak222" <wolfi.junkmail@...>)

--- In BoundaryPoint@y..., "ps1966nl" <smaardijk@y...> wrote:
> Just heard on the radio: Morocco has occupied Perejil, the island
> just around the corner from Ceuta. Spain has sent two war ships.

That reminds me of the Imia incident (Turkish - Greek conflict) of
1997, IIRC. Has the group discussed Imia before? Imia is an
uninhabitad island in the Dodekanese group off the Turkish coast, but
thus far thought to be Greek territory (like almost all Aegean
islands until close to the Turkish coast are Greek, which is a fact
the Turks don't like very much). In the 1997 incident, there was an
accident of a Turkish marine boat on the island, in the aftermath of
which they planted a Turkish flag there, which Turkish journalists
photographed and published. The Greek government got outraged and
sent Greek marine. I was planning my holiday in Greece at the
time ... The two sides promised that if they'd go to war, they
wouldn't do it during tourist season. Turned out they kept the
promise. But somehow I didn't catch the end of the Imia conflict
though. Was it settled? Anyone know?

Regards