Subject: Re: For you tripoint freaks - CS-DDR-BRD photo
Date: Jun 30, 2002 @ 15:59
Author: anorak222 ("anorak222" <wolfi.junkmail@...>)

--- In BoundaryPoint@y..., "lnadybal" <lnadybal@c...> wrote:
> I just posted to the photos library a photo from an obscure German
> booklet of the border markings at the tripoint between former
> German Democratic Republic, the former Czechoslovakia and the
> former Federal Republic of Germany.

Thank you. I actually lived close for a while, it was a destination
for weekend trips now and then. The actual border run and location of
the tripoint was always a bit of a mystery, since it wasn't clearly
marked. What was marked was the West German border with the
signs "Landesgrenze" in blue&white as seen on the photo (erected by
the state of Bavaria, it emphasizes the fact that this is the end of
Bavaria, not so much that the FRG ends here too). But those signs
were the same everywhere, both along the CZ and the GDR border. There
also were GDR border signs, but much more widely spaced, so not
helpful to determine where the GDR border ends and the CZ one starts.
And no visible CZ signs as far as I remember. Therefore it was
unclear where the exact point was. We have good maps of the place,
but somehow they didn't really help.

Regards