Subject: RE: [BoundaryPoint] kaliningrad vs. EU
Date: Jun 22, 2002 @ 17:02
Author: Jan S. Krogh ("Jan S. Krogh" <la9qca@...>)

Thanks, Timothy for the link.
At the moment I am actually writing an article about Kaliningrad and Lithuania/EU. I can add that at the Baltic-Nordic prime minister meeting in St. Petersburg earlier this month it became clear that Russia will got grant Kaliningrad better conditions than what the rest of the federation will get concerning visas. That means that during 2003 Russia will need to build up a visa control bureaucracy and that the visa free regime between Lithuania and Kaliningrad will cease. Sealed trains or West Berlin solutions I am almost sure they can forget - the only way to get to main Russia will be by sea. Lithuania will most probably become EU member at 2004 - she has already finished 28 of totally 30 chapters and is together with Cyprus concerning present state of play heading the socalled group of Enlargement countries.
Regards,
Jan
Vilnius, Lithuania
http://home.no.net/enklaver