Subject: Re: Real Help to Bad News
Date: May 24, 2002 @ 16:08
Author: lnadybal ("lnadybal" <lnadybal@...>)

"i dont share any of your woes or concerns".

Gee, that's a little hard - like a policeman who has seen too many
traffic accidents.

I just came through the demise of the Excite! contract with Comcast,
which dumped Excite! Millions of Comcast customers lost their
personal webspaces. Comcast gave a lot of warning that they were
going to pull the plug, but gave virtually zero help on how to capture
your website so you could move it to a successor provider.... the
successor turned out to be Comcast itself, but the service was
configured to work properly only with Microsoft's products, and had
no portabilty utility in it. If you need the kind of high speed
access only cable can provide, Comcast is the only game in most towns
where they operate. Here in DC the government learned - we now have
two cable players; lo and behold, Comcast is now allowing its service
to be resold to aggregators!

This mess has lasted months - so I share a lot of woes and concerns...
nobody should go through this. Yuo half expect a big company owuld
back its service up and make stuff available - but gone broke is gone
broke. It's like your house burning down with all of your memories in
it.

Come to think about it, maybe the state ought to take it all over
again! ;-> Maybe then we'd have respect for preservation, public
concerns and long term consistency rather than the almighty dollar.

LN