Subject: Re: Status on IEUK?
Date: May 17, 2002 @ 07:52
Author: pepijnh ("pepijnh" <pepijnh@...>)

--- In BoundaryPoint@y..., Bramwell Hayes <bramwellhayes@y...> wrote:

> When I visited the land border near Monaghan two years
> ago, the remains of an old checkpoint could be seen,
> but there was no security and the border was only
> demarcated by county boundary signs, thus looking like
> an internal border. There was one garage in which the
> petrol pumps were in the Republic (therefore paying
> lower taxes) but could only be reached from the UK (?a
> pene-enclave).

But could the petrol also be delivered only through the UK?

The thing reminds me of the situation that was explained to us by the
owner of the _Biergrens_, the beer shop straddling the border in
Baarle. He was telling us that not only is he theoretically required
to store the beer from his Belgian suppliers on Belgian soil and the
beer from his Dutch suppliers on Dutch soil (which he doesn't do, if
I recall correctly), but also he got into trouble with the Belgian
and Dutch customs inspections when a lorry driver was unloading his
payload on the wrong side of the border, thereby
technically 'exporting' the alcohol, for which (import) taxes are due.

I wouldn't be surprised if the petrol station has a back entrance
from the Republic for the suppliers.

-Pepijn