Subject: Re: Old bedelux mystery solved?
Date: May 14, 2002 @ 19:42
Author: acroorca2002 ("acroorca2002" <orc@...>)

--- In BoundaryPoint@y..., "ps1966nl" <smaardijk@y...> wrote:
> Eef Berns wrote:
> "(...)- the included topographic map-detail seems to indicate that
the
> belux-border to the west is in the middle of the road. The present
> provincial border to the east is however shown at the northern edge
> of the road
> - to Peter's scheme I have added a green line which is in my view
the
> exact course of the international cq provincial border and probably
> the course of the international borders before 1918
> - so neither of the two bordermarkers is on the exact tripoint
spot,
> understandable because of the inconvenience of putting a border
> marker in the middle of the road. Still a question remains: why is
> the stone marker B not placed on the north side of the road, where
> the border bends 90 degrees to the east? It (or its wooden
> predecessor) was placed before 1843, the year that the belux
ironcast
> markers were placed."
>
> Thanks for the map and clarification. But this map still leaves me
> puzzled, because it's not quite what I expected. Could it be that
the
> tripoint is in the middle of the road, and that both markers mark it
> (on both sides of the road)? Or did the provincial boundary change
> once it became a provincial boundary (i.e. when the international
> boundary was changed)? Was no. 75 moved at one point, or was no. 286
> moved? Maybe no. 75 used to be a pair, and the northern one was
> replaced by no. 286. But your question remains... Still, I am happy
> to accept the solution as given by this (Belgian, I think) topomap.
>
> Peter S.

guys
glad you are both happy to believe in the map depiction
while i will also remain happy to believe that boundary markers mark
boundaries
unless expressly trumped by treaty texts &or treaty maps

ordinary maps & even government maps such as this dont normally trump
markers

indeed all such nontreaty maps are merely somebodys level best try at
depicting the truth
& if you accept maps & this particular map unquestioningly then you
may be in for some surprises on this road

on the other hand
because there is a common custom in europe of marking midstream
boundaries with matching monuments on both banks
i suppose we cant completely rule out your surmise that even this
unmatched pair of markers might just be a weird adaptation of that wet
line method to a dry roadstead
unlikely as that still feels to me
for it wouldnt merely be rare but to my knowledge unique

so i may yet be in for just that surprise down the middle of this road
but am still far from believing it without the substantiation of a
treaty text

or perhaps do you know of other examples of such displacement in your
vast experience eef
for even 1 such corroboration anywhere would help me to bend my mind
in your direction

also i cant forget the comment peter reported that the 2 markers used
to have another close companion now missing & unreplaced

since i can still believe marker 75 is old bedelu & 286 is belu1
i would expect the third marker to have been lilu1 & to have stood
also on or near a shoulder of the road a similarly short distance
eastward of either of the others

the map shows a probability of it lying east of 286 rather than of 75

i wouldnt normally bet on the map but for guessing the position of the
missing lilu1 & thus completing my rationalization of all the data i
have nothing better

wherever lilu1 may have stood however
i think the lilu line would still have had to run from lilu1 to its
terminus at 75 rather than 286

also peter
lilu couldnt have changed course when belu was made in 1843 because
lilu was until then actually nlpr
& even until 1921 was still bede before it came into being as lilu

& eef
stone marker b is not on the north side of the road because it was
originally just a turn point of nlpr without any necessary relation to
the road such as you believe belu has & was thus free to have fallen
anywhere