Subject: Boundary vs. border
Date: Apr 29, 2002 @ 17:59
Author: Jesper & Nicolette Nielsen ("Jesper & Nicolette Nielsen" <jesniel@...>)
Prev    Post in Topic    Next
Prev    Post in Time    Next

This is how I use the terms:

border: when it's international
boundary: national

Jesper
----- Original Message -----
From: acroorca2002
To: BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Monday, April 29, 2002 4:57 PM
Subject: [BoundaryPoint] Re: Border Move? Iraq-Turkey

doug
since you are now counselling a grain of salt too
while apparently also using the words border & boundary
interchangeably
& since others are also finding this topic interesting
let me just sprinkle in my own understanding of these 2 terms
both for the sake of the present discussion & also to clarify the
earlier one about boundaries & borders

the 2 words
border & boundary
are as you observe practically interchangeable in everyday usage
even tho they may differ in a few of their secondary
meanings & undertones & associations

but in traditional careful usage i think a boundary refers only to a
line between 2 things
while a border refers predominantly to a line around or at an edge of
a single thing

this may have no practical consequence in the present imaginary
discussion
but in the earlier fantastic discussion about apparent border crosses
that are not necessarily boundary crosses
i think the distinction between boundary & border is worth bearing in
mind
for it is indeed fully utilized & realized there

now the question as to whether border freaks then also qualify as
boundary freaks
well fortunately that will remain for another day
if not also another try pointing phreak outing

--- In BoundaryPoint@y..., "Peter Hering" <hering@m...> wrote:
> Interesting link, Doug!!
> It opened my eyes to an astonishing solution
> on my financial problems:''
> On my last trip to the Middle East, I brought
> home a barrel of oil as a souvenir (what else?),
> well stored in my garden...
> I could offer the US this new oil well - in return
> for making Oelstykke (my home town) the 51st
> state...
> well, Washington??
> all yours
> have a nice week
> Peter H.

Here's a link to an article about boundary changes in the middle east.
Take it with a grain of salt!