Subject: Re: re places with few to zero tripoints
Date: Apr 15, 2002 @ 03:28
Author: acroorca2002 ("acroorca2002" <orc@...>)

this fips list kept by the american state department appears to be in
substantial but not complete agreement with the iso standard list
maintained by the united nations from data provided by the member
countries
the most notable & disturbing exception at the moment being just
those data that would either confirm or bust the nevis quintipoint
for which iso turns thumbs down while fips as reinforced by the cia
factbook & cia mapping turns thumbs up
tho i hasten to add there are at least several other british &
formerly british west indian islands for example in the same peculiar
state of iso fips disagreement
so it boils down to a question of whom to believe & why are they more
credible for use in try pointing

i personally think the iso standard as constantly updated by
newsletters is more credible than the combined weight of the state
dept & cia because we have no assurance of rigorous standards nor
regular updating by these american sources & also because each
country answers the united nations & provides current data for itself
so if or when st kitts nevis ever considers itself subdivided it
would presumably just report this fact to the intl standards org of
the united nations & we would have the data in the next newsletter

another question is why do the cia & state dept sometimes apparently
ignore this intelligence

--- In BoundaryPoint@y..., "granthutchison" <granthutchison@b...>
wrote:
> I don't propose this as any sort of definitive list, but here, for
> interest and discussion, are the countries and dependencies for
which
> FIPS currently provides no codes for "Primary Administrative
Region".