Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Re: Let's see if this works! CAUS border story
Date: Apr 06, 2002 @ 00:17
Author: Doug Murray ("Doug Murray" <doug@...>)

As a Canadian, it doesn't bother me as long as it's a two way street.  And I, for one, think that we should have combined security for North America minus Mexico -- tough screening at all ports of entry into Canada and the US and then easy passage between the two nations.  I don't feel my sovereignty threatened by that.

As for US customs agents at airports -- are you sure they have arrest powers?  I recall a story at Vancouver International where US agents detained a 16 year old Canadian girl for a day -- simply because she was dressed in a provocative manner.    And all heck broke loose -- in that they cannot do that.

It would seem to me that they can detain and turn over to the RCMP... but as they are on Canadian soil, they have no powers of arrest.  I don't think they carry guns. They can refuse entry and issue 5 year entry bans on the spot (meaning no joking)!

But there is a better story recently reported:  a Canadian citizen, now living in the US, was charged and convicted of doing business with Cuba while he was in Canada!  That's like Canada convicting an American for breaking Canadian law in the States!!!   Canada has no embargo with Cuba...

Strange little world over here in the territories!!

Doug