Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Re: gvivli
Date: Apr 02, 2002 @ 18:44
Author: Jesper & Nicolette Nielsen ("Jesper & Nicolette Nielsen" <jesniel@...>)

Brownlie intepreted bt m donner:

http://home.worldonline.dk/~jesniel/border/african_tripoints.htm#gncilr

Jesper
----- Original Message -----
From: Grant Hutchison
To: Boundary Point
Sent: Tuesday, April 02, 2002 6:21 PM
Subject: [BoundaryPoint] Re: gvivli

> Guinea/Ivory Coast/Liberia tripoint:
Unfortunately, the tripoint isn't on Mont Nimba, as the attached Global
Explorer map shows. The 5748ft summit on the Guinea/Cote d'Ivoire border is
Nimba, which is the highest peak in both those countries. The ridge of Nimba
mountains then runs SW to the 4544ft summit, Gbaam, which is the highest
point in Liberia. Somewhere in between, at a point Biger calls Mount Neun,
is the tripoint. I've never been able to track down a position for this
mountain, but it's at the headwaters of what Biger calls the Neun River,
which appears as the Nuon on this map.
Biger's description of the river courses are inconsistent with this map,
which is frustrating - he implies that the source of the Cavally River is
also near the tripoint. When I had Brownlee's book out on loan I did check
to make sure that Nimba was not the tripoint (it wasn't) but unfortunately I
didn't keep a record of the exact location of the tripoint - at that time I
was more interested in whether Nimba was the highest summit in two or three
countries.

Grant