Subject: Re: Virginia/DC Information
Date: Mar 06, 2002 @ 15:22
Author: shocktm ("shocktm" <andrew@...>)

--- In BoundaryPoint@y..., "lnadybal" <lnadybal@h...> wrote:
> What retrocession of territory could you be referring to? A
> reattachment of some piece of land onto the District's territory
> that it had earlier given back to Virginia, or a "further giving"
> of D.C. land back to Virginia, in addition to that which Virigina
> got in 1847 and further in 1927 (Battery Cove)?

I was think of Battery Cove but I had the wrong date in mind.

> The D.C. airport is on Virigina territory... but which is land
> over which Congress has taken some of Virginia's rights away.
> (Virginia is only allowed to tax certain things there, like tobacco
> products sold in airport concessions, but not the airport
> enterprise itself, among other things.)

You probable also know that Dulles is also owned by the Feds and run
by the FAA. This has allowed the Federal Government to do some
strange things without local (Virginia/Arlington/Fairfax) approval
such as:

+ Rename National Airport Ronald Reagan/National Airport (Today the
people who run the Metro (DC's Subway) said that they will change the
Metro signs)

+ Set aside a large section of the parking at National for
congressional use only

+ Allow the first commercial flight of the Concorde to land in Dulles
on May 24, 1976 (From a Concorde website .. Transatlantic Services to
Washington DC from London and Paris began with two Concorde's, one in
British Airways livery and the other in Air France livery landing at
Dulles Airport, Washington. Before landing both aircraft
simultaneously flew over the US capital and then made parallel
approaches to Dulles Airport. Both aircraft touched down together,
the British Concorde landed on runway 01L and the French Concorde on
runway 01R. Special permission had been given by US Secretary of
Transportation, William Coleman for these flights to take place.)

Another interesting thing about Dulles is that it has an area of
extraterritorial with in it. The German Military Mission is located
there and is used to supply Germany military personnel who train in
the US and Canada. The German Air Force does training in Holloman
AFB in New Mexico and currently has a squadran of Tronados based
there. The German Army performs Tank Training in Happy-Valley-Goose
Bay, Labrador, Newfoundland, Canada. Strangly It has been reported
that Germany has more tanks in Canada than Canada has.

-Andrew