Subject: I'll have some crow with this humble pie, please
Date: Feb 21, 2002 @ 22:02
Author: granthutchison ("granthutchison" <granthutchison@...>)

Michael:
> also canadas forgotten but distinct 4th federal territory
> after yukon & northwest & nunavut
> the federal seas surrounding everything & including much if not most
of the
> actual boundaries with the usa & denmark & france
Your empty bank account could have been recharged a little if you'd
taken me up on my offer of a bet re the enclave status of St Pierre &
Miquelon.
I've just taken delivery of Jane's Exclusive Economic Zones (last
year's edition) and that French/Canadian boundary you refer to above
appears as an enclave, despite my earlier, quite vehement, deductions
to the contrary. It's very clear, though it does leave me with the
puzzle of why the French seemed to contrast the previous "mere
enclave" status of StP&M with the "corridor" they had subsequently
been granted. Maybe they were talking territorial sea.
I hesitate to scan in the Jane's map, especially since the volume's
editor, Martin Pratt, would immediately catch me at it on this site!
But the StP&M EEZ gets enclaved like this: although it is 200nm long,
pointing due south, and more southerly than any EEZ arising from
Newfoundland, it is clipped from the west by the Canadian EEZ based on
Sable Island - so the long rectangular StP&M "corridor" opens not into
Everyone's Land, but into the easternmost extension of the Sable
Island EEZ.Bummer.

Grant