Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Camp Zeist
Date: Feb 21, 2002 @ 00:56
Author: Andrew T. Patton ("Andrew T. Patton" <andrew@...>)

On Wed, 20 Feb 2002 21:30:55 +0000 (GMT), you wrote:

>The trial and appeal of the alleged Lockerbie bombers
>is taking place in Camp Zeist. If my memory is correct
>this site, a former dutch military base, was ceeded by
>the Dutch government to the UK for the duration of the
>trial. Do we need therefore to count it as an enclave
>and does this mean that the United Kingdom and the
>Netherlands currently share a land boundary?

I would hesitate to call it an enclave as Scotland only has it for a
limited time. It seems to me to be more of a area of
extra-territorality like an embassy or a jurisdictional enclave than a
sovereign enclave.

Of interest is that Camp Zeizt has it own Tin Bigha type situation.
The Scottish court only take up a portion of the Camp and the other
parts are a museum and some workshops. The a portion of the road
connecting the museum to the workshops is in the Scottish
psuedo-enclave and is temporarily given back to the Dutch for transit
at specific times.

-Andrew
--
Andrew T. Patton WWW: http://www.AndrewPatton.com