Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Border Stories -- Canada - US
Date: Feb 19, 2002 @ 13:44
Author: Pepijn Hendriks ("Pepijn Hendriks" <pepijnh@...>)

Arif Samad <fHoiberg@...> wrote:

> I may be the only person who waits for 11:11:11 of 11/11 every year,
> especially since it is the day after my birthday.

I don't think you're the only one. In the parts of Germany and the
Netherlands where Carnival (Dutch _carnaval_, German _Karneval,
Fasching, Fastnacht_) is celebrated, preparations begin on the 11th of
November at 11:11, most notably by electing the local Prince Carnival.
In Dutch, 11 is known as the fool's number (_gekkengetal_).

Spotted in this week's _Newsweek Polska_: the website
<http://www.3x2002.org>, dedicated to 20-02-2002, 20:02 (i.e. the 20th
of February 2002, 8:02pm in the notation used by non-Anglophone European
countries). For those who read Polish (hi Peter S.), see
<http://newsweek.redakcja.pl/archiwum/artykul.asp?Artykul=7073>.

-Pepijn

--
pepijnh@... -- http://www.bigfoot.com/~pepijnh -- ICQ - 6033220