Subject: Re: FIPS 10-4, 10-5
Date: Jan 31, 2002 @ 20:15
Author: granthutchison ("granthutchison" <granthutchison@...>)

Arif:
> TC would make the most sense if it stood for Trucial
> Coast as it used to be called.
Ah, I hadn't heard that one.

> Why would somebody take
> a letter from the middle of the word.
But there are many, many examples of this in both FIPS and ISO.
Picking a couple from several examples in the A's alone, Antigua is AG
in ISO, and Azerbaijan is AJ in FIPS. A quick search doesn't give me
any historical or local name that would fit these letters any better.
{I *was* going to use Angola, AO in both ISO and FIPS, as an example,
but it used to be called Africa Ocidental Portuguesa, which I suppose
might be the origin of the AO.)
Even when a country has a multi-word name, FIPS seems as like to pick
both digraph letters from the first word as to choose initials: Costa
Rica is CS, for instance, and Papua New Guinea is PP.

Grant