Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Re: Digraphs
Date: Jan 28, 2002 @ 17:00
Author: m donner ("m donner" <maxivan82@...>)

marathon again

first let me just interject into the discussion of abbrevs that bp has never
adopted any one system
but because we arose in the usa we naturally used the prevailing postal
diglyphs for the states & eventually also bumbled into using the iso
diglyphs for the countries
predominantly tho i admit not exclusively
& this has worked well enough or mostly well enough til now
with minimal miss or fuss
whenever people have used it
or even when people have merely tried to use it
since mistakes are easily spotted & allowed for
& many repetitions in discussions tend to promote the best form
but i agree it would take either a constitutional convention to improve upon
this since we are all such individualists
thank goodness
or preferably just a little deliberateness on the part of each speaker

also please remember we are coming primarily from a multipunctological
perspective which normally combines at least 3 entities at a time
so every increase is multiplied & every complication ramified

similarly about the need for a true & adequate glossary of clavology
i would say that that is for the clavologists to work out & is probably more
a matter of synorology than of punctology anyway

meanwhile from multidimensional ground zero i am happy to report that the
dallas news has successfully grasped & reported the mental decathlon of
palindromy in its 2002 article but hasnt yet picked up on the full picture
of the imminent new era groundhog day celebration on 02 02 2002 or any of
our more multipunctive pursuits at bp

also learned the mig cant fly more than 26 miles 385 yards from here
just kidding
its true limit is actually 25 miles
so it wont be useful after all for recovering glhemaokpa
but have booked it for groundhog day anyway on the chance that i might pass
go 4 times & collect the necessary 800 dollars before then

gotta do something for the true groundhog day anyway

& i hope you will all join somehow in this multidimensional celebration
wherever you are

>From: Grant Hutchison <granthutchison@...>
>To: Boundary Point <BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com>
>Subject: [BoundaryPoint] Re: Digraphs
>Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 15:24:52 +0000
>
>Peter H:
> > The problem is that so many non-Europ. countries don't have proper
> > car registration initials - so we have to agree on an international
> > standard - that's why I support the current system...!
>
>I don't know about East Timor, but I list vehicle distinguishing signs
>for the other 192 countries in my Country Codes file - some of them not
>officially UN-approved, admittedly. But to me there's a big problem with
>using variable-length codes (anything from one to four letters in this
>case) - there's no definite, reproducible break where one country code
>stops and the next begins. I'm hard pressed to produce a specific
>example, but there's clearly *potential* confusion when four letters can
>be split 2:2 or 1:3 or 3:1.
>
>Anton Z:
> >> DZ
> > I found Algeria, but how come? Is this a transcription from Arabic?
>
>The Arabic name is Al-Jaza'ir (though I think this is most correctly
>applied to Algiers, with the country getting a very polysyllabic name
>incorporating the words "al Jaza'iriyah"). But in French transliteration
>Al Jaza'ir would be rendered "Al Djaza'ir", to prompt French speakers to
>make a hard "j" sound. (Similarly, the French write "Tchad" for Chad.)
>So my guess is that the DZ comes from "DjaZa'ir".
>
>Grant

marathon again

first let me just interject into the discussion of abbrevs that bp has never
adopted any one system
but because we arose in the usa we naturally used the prevailing postal
diglyphs for the states & eventually also bumbled into using the iso
diglyphs for the countries
predominantly tho i admit not exclusively
& this has worked well enough or mostly well enough til now
with minimal miss or fuss
whenever people have used it
or even when people have merely tried to use it
since mistakes are easily spotted & allowed for
& many repetitions in discussions tend to promote the best form
but i agree it would take either a constitutional convention to improve upon
this since we are all such individualists
thank goodness
or preferably just a little deliberateness on the part of each speaker

also please remember we are coming primarily from a multipunctological
perspective which normally combines at least 3 entities at a time
so every increase is multiplied & every complication ramified

similarly about the need for a true & adequate glossary of clavology
i would say that that is for the clavologists to work out & is probably more
a matter of synorology than of punctology anyway

meanwhile here from multidimensional ground zero i am happy to report that
the dallas news has successfully grasped & reported the mental decathlon of
palindromy in its 2002 article but hasnt yet picked up on the full picture
of the imminent new era groundhog day celebration 02 02 2002 or any of our
other multipunctive pursuits