Subject: Re: Digraphs - a Winner!
Date: Jan 28, 2002 @ 15:02
Author: lnadybal ("lnadybal" <lnadybal@...>)

Great Florian... too bad we didn't have a prize to give out.
These regional codes are secessionist wishers. Canadians have had to
tolerate Quebec in this regard, too. Re: Algeria,yes, it is a
transliteration from Arabic. I forget what the D was, but ZH is
Zhamahriya or something like that. You see the word often in Latin
characters on Libyan stamps. By the way, Libya, as far as I recall,
is the only country whose name is fully spelled out in the autocodes.

These codes are really assigned by the international union of
automobile something or other commission - and when they meet, they
assign codes to all the new countries. A few years back, before the
Soviet Union broke up, only two countries, as I recall had no codes -
one was Bhutan - which had no cars, and I think the other was Taiwan.

I've not kept up with post-SU activities, but I can't imagine that
nothing occurred, for example, to change CZ to whatever they have now
for the Czech Republic and Slovakia. The Yugoslavia breakup has
resulted in new codes, so I can't imagine they haven't reacted
appropriately to the creations within the CIS.

Regards to all.

Len Nadybal

--- In BoundaryPoint@y..., "Anton Florian Zeilinger"
<anton_zeilinger@h...> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> >From: "lnadybal" <lnadybal@h...>
> >To: BoundaryPoint@y...
> >Subject: [BoundaryPoint] Digraphs
> >Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 01:39:38 -0000
> >
> >Why don't we use the internationally recognized automobile
> >registration initials. They've been in place for decades. Many
> >postal services around the world use them, and they are often, in
> >Europe especially, the prefixes for postcodes on outgoing
> >international mail.
>
> That's a great idea, I often have trouble following the discussions,
as
> people often use different codes.
>
> >Guess these:
> >
> >BZH
>
> Brittany? Apparently it's legal to use them there, even though
France is