Subject: Re: Independence declared by villages along the Kazakh-Uzbek border. (long)
Date: Jan 12, 2002 @ 17:48
Author: acroorca2002 ("acroorca2002" <orc@...>)

destin fl

thanx christian for this fascinating report
& a belated but sincere wave of welcome to you our only known
resident vexillologist

& thanx also to peter for the timely gulf county reminder which will
surely enhance our day today as we continue to drift timelessly but
ineluctably back toward the eastern standard zone

i believe jc even has a wristwatch on board somewhere

but we have frankly been distracted from our usual pointing pursuits
by all these perhaps whitest beaches in the world around here bathed
by its perhaps most emerald waters

jc says all this beauty must be caused by the quartz crystals that
wash down here from the southern appalachians

in any case i couldnt help but stop here to revisit a favorite beach
of mine
the incredibly long narrow sandspit in the middle of destin harbor
rivaling even the original jones point finger
as also the spit at homer alaska & others too numerous to mention
but to believe which please dial up destin at topozone on 25k

for it was during a first exploration along this beach a few years
ago during a 1998 inaugural journey comprehending all of highway 98
from its atlantic start at palm beach to its end at the mississippi
at natchez that i fished my red white & blue nautica team usa destiny
cap out of the water just at the very finger tip of destin spit

or at least i like to call it my destiny cap for that reason

some of you may even remember this otherwise unimpressive cap from
the pix of the okeechobee & also of the shenandoah & madrid bend
capers

& since it is so ragged now after years of heady use & well even
abuse as a windshield cleaner
i needed to see if there mightnt be a newer one or some other destiny
portent waiting for me there

btw that first visit was also highlighted by a marvelously close
encounter with a 5foot tall but one legged calico colored heron &
also by a strand of beach as perfectly yinyang in its ess shaped
curvature as say the korean flag

so i was really primed for augury this morning as i parked the van &
almost ran along this perfect sandbar in anticipation of what new
cosmic messages it might hold for me & everyone else at bp in whose
name this consultation was also conducted

only 1 printed object could be found bobbing in the green water
during my approach to the point
a plastic bag inscribed reddy ice
which i took to mean the destiny of our whole sport & art of try
pointing is already on ice

& only 1 printed object could be found on the white sand
a sheet of so called imperial wetordry production paper
clearly a form of true sand paper
which i interpreted to produce or smooth off as it were our entire
empire of both wetpoints & drypoints

no new cap nor old heron or anything
& the yinyang beach line is considerably diminished & distorted
for it must have referred perfectly only to that pristine moment in
time in 1998
& not to this subsequent also perfectly pristine moment in time in
2002

well thats about it from here

& the library is closing soon
& i realize i am moving too fast to be coherent
but perhaps you can make some sense out of all this even without any
additional editing on my part

& if not
well it is still my level best for now
& i do send all my best to you all

--- In BoundaryPoint@y..., Christian Berghänel
<christian.berghanel@s...> wrote:
> Here is a quote from RFE/RL Central Asia Report.
> Anyone know of any flag? Do any of you BoundaryPoint-people have
detailed map(s)?

> RADIO FREE EUROPE/RADIO LIBERTY, PRAGUE, CZECH REPUBLIC
> RFE/RL Central Asia Report
> Vol. 2, No. 2, 10 January 2002
> http://www.rferl.org/centralasia/
>
> TALE OF TWO VILLAGES TURNS POLITICAL IN KAZAKHSTAN.
> Protesting the long delay by Kazakhstan and Uzbekistan in finalizing
> their border demarcation, the villages of Baghys and Turkestanets,
> whose national status remains uncertain, symbolically declared
> sovereignty just before the New Year, AFP and Interfax reported on 4
> January. About 500 of the 2,000 inhabitants of the two villages,
> which are predominantly ethnically Kazakh, rallied to announce their
> independence, elect a 10-strong parliament, and choose an elderly
> schoolmaster as president. This exercise in local democracy was
> quickly broken up by Uzbek police, AFP said. A curfew has since been
> imposed on both villages.
> According to a 4 January press release by Kazakhstan's United
> Democratic Party (UDP) -- a coalition of the opposition Azamat
Party,
> the People's Congress, and the Republican People's Party -- there
had
> been no mention of the villagers' actions and arrests by Kazakh
> media, with the single exception of a special correspondent of Radio
> Azattyk ("Freedom"). But Kazakh TV on the same day said that the
> Foreign Ministry in the nation's capital, Astana, in response to
> press reports about the incident, issued a statement that border
> negotiations with Tashkent were proceeding smoothly and warned that
> stunts like the one at Baghys/Turkestanets could only hinder
progress
> with the Uzbek side.
> A treaty of 16 November 2001 established 96 percent of the
> border between the two countries. Three sections of the frontier
> totaling 60 kilometers have been left in limbo -- the two villages
> and the Arnasai region -- on which officials have said that
agreement
> should be reached by this summer. According to some local Kazakh
news
> sources, the villagers' publicity-grabbing protests were prompted
> less by vague frustration at the slow pace of talks on border
> delineation than by a very real fear that they might become a part
of
> Uzbekistan. The UDP press release of 4 January tried to explain why
> this border delineation was such an emotive issue. It noted that in
> 1956 Nikita Khrushchev awarded Uzbekistan a large slice of southern
> Kazakhstan as a gift, amounting to 200,000 hectares and including
the
> two disputed villages, which the Uzbeks used as a military training
> ground. That act of caprice would be matched by a similarly
> irresponsible act, UDP suggested, if Kazakh President Nursultan
> Nazarbaev decided to let the Uzbeks keep the disputed territory
> without any public discussion or transparency in decision-making.
> Consequently, the UDP called on the Kazakh parliament and
> international organizations such as the Organization for Security
and
> Cooperation in Europe to participate in the negotiations.
> The mass gathering at Baghys and Turkestanets on 28 December
> was organized by Oral Saulebay, one of the leaders of Kazakhstan's
> Azat movement and chairman of Committee on Protection of Kazakh
Land.
> He used the occasion to publicly criticize the Kazakh and Uzbek
> presidents, saying the border demarcation should have been completed
> long before. He was duly arrested on 30 December by Uzbek police,
> held in the Tashkent Region Internal Affairs Department jail, and
> charged with "organizing an unsanctioned mass gathering" under
> Chapter 154 of the Uzbek Criminal Code. To this was later added the
> charge of insulting the dignity and honor of the Kazakh and Uzbek
> presidents. Interrogated by Uzbek officials, Saulebay began a hunger
> strike on 1 January to demand that Kazakh representatives be present
> at the interrogations.
> On 4 January, leaders of Kazakhstan's UDP gave a press
> conference at which they urged the Uzbek authorities to release
> Saulebay and demanded a meeting between Presidents Karimov and
> Nazarbaev to resolve the border issue as quickly as possible. The
> previous evening, a group of about 20 persons calling themselves the
> Committee for the Release of Oral Saulebay picketed the Uzbek
Embassy
> in Almaty.
> Saulebay was finally extradited to Kazakhstan on 4 January, AP
> reported the following day. But instead of being released, as
> expected, he was being held in custody in an undisclosed location by
> officers of the Kazakh National Security Committee (formerly KGB).
As