Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Re: Dutch provincial North sea
Date: Dec 18, 2001 @ 00:08
Author: Brendan Whyte ("Brendan Whyte" <brwhyte@...>)

The terms in English are "mean high (or low) water springs", or MHWS

Property rights end at mean high water springs, so even if someone owns a
beach, you can still walk along the sand below mean high water springs.

In NZ there is a Queen's Chain, whereby the Crown is meant to own a chain
(22 yards, c.20m) above mhws, as a public reseve. It also applied to all
lakes and all streams and rivers wider than 2 or 3m. This was done to
prevent the rich preventing access to the sea, rivers and lakes, as they had
in the UK.
Unfortunately it been severely compromised over the years...

BW