Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Digest Number 533
Date: Dec 06, 2001 @ 01:53
Author: michael donner (michael donner <orc@...>)

following are misc comments in medley format

> From: "Grant

>Well, the Southern Ocean rather lent itself to imaginary or misplaced
>islands

found on top of or under

>Subject: the lost kingdom of the rockies
>
>this topic recently raised by anton
>& initially dismissed by me out of ignorance

all these lost realities
when added to the discovery of the lost coast brewery in eureka last month
& all piled on top of the original lost tripoint of atlantis
forgotten if even noticed since the early 3600s
produce with the coming of this digest our first bp multilost point
& thus highlight that most delirious of try pointing delights
namely of reaching & thus finding something that actually has been lost
so multithanx & congrats to all parties of this

also it reminds me
a couple of times while just fooling around in the deep northwest woods of
connecticut & trying to see how sharp i could get without any navigational
aids & of course sans camera for highest adventure anticipation etc
jc & i actually did rather miraculously find not 1 but 2 utterly forgotten
dilapidated disintegrating quadtown monuments both from the late 1700s
which we even had the pleasure of restoring to near perfection
yes we found & saved the lost quaternary quadripoints of nwct
& tho i cant show pix i would gladly tell you how to find them too

>Subject: Re: oldest purely 'fiat' international boundary?
>
>Did anyone in this thread about "fiat" boundaries mention the
>Roman Limes that stretched across western central Europe? It was
>demarcated by putting watchtowers up in many places and trenches
>between the towers. Messages were passed up and down the line by
>signals from tower to tower. What was south of the line was Roman and
>what was north was considered barbaric. It doesn't follow any
>particular marking on the ground in many places. The portion I know
>well, in the German state of Hessen runs diagonally across open
>fields, up and across the Taunus mountain range, and was more or less
>established wherever the troops stopped advancing. The Germans
>rebuilt the stockade-like wooden fortress near the town of
>Taunusstein, and from the museum, it becomes clear this was a real
>border that stretched hundreds of KM on the continent. If I remember
>right, Hadrian's wall was just a continuation of it across the British
>Isles. I don't recall that Hadrian's wall particularly followed along
>geographically convenient elements such as streams, etc.
>I didn't look anything up before writing this, it's from memory, and
>may be sketchy, but on balance, I think it is a proper example to make
>
>Len

this is the best answer to davids query imo & probably projects the matter
not only into & beyond early roman times but really into prehistory since
intervisible lookouts both natural & architectural must be almost as old as
our monkeyhood
& the boundaries they mark must be just as hoary but also just as hairy
since linear boundaries are not necessarily the same thing as sight lines
but the 2 ideas could easily be confused by anyone not noticing the difference
so this sight tower answer is the best answer really because it highlights
the pitfalls of the anachronicity built into the question

for there is apparently no evidence before something like the 14th or
perhaps 12th century of boundaries more linear & precise than the ordinary
natural buffer zones or frontier lands &or military fronts believed to have
been fairly ubiquitous prior to the rise of modern west european boundary
making in that era

or rather i wish someone would show some evidence if they have it

for it seems to me in such evidence lies the truest available answer to
the question as posed
as well as to our ongoing search for oldest known international boundary marker
since the oldest known fiat boundary will be just what such a rock marked

i mean the 2 researches seem to me to boil down to the same thing

> From: "Brendan Whyte" <brwhyte@...>
>Subject: Re: Re: oldest purely 'fiat' international boundary?
>
>Gambia is made up of curves a set distance FROM the river.

right
& maybe that is why they all look so similarly irregular compared to the
depa arc
for how can you follow a river & project arcs of any length at the same time

but since the gambia river falls into the gambia from the east
i have the idea at least that the easternmost or final semicircular arc at
least should be true

>Adn there is a
>semicircle in the southern end of Zimbabwe's boundary with Botswana, centred
>on Tuli.
>BW

can you or anyone show this or the eastern gambia arc to us

it would be nice to know there is a good world class example somewhere

>Anton Florian Zeilinger wrote:
>>
>> My guess:
>>
>> Anton Sherwood is in San Francisco, CA, hailing originally from
>> Illinois...
>
>Nope. Born in Italy.
>

>> (Nothing a short name search on google.com won't solve...) :-)

well we still have to acknowledge anton z for at least a class e try at
finding anton s

but we shouldnt necessarily try pointing at anton z yet
unless or until anton s really is in san francisco
for yikes he may still be hiding there behind a concession of italian birth
just because he is so tricky

& it might only become appropriate to try for anton z if the person who
actually finds anton s if indeed anybody ever finds him has a position we
cant guess because we already know it
etc etc