Subject: the ksmook cup & someones new ksmook
Date: Dec 04, 2001 @ 01:51
Author: michael donner (michael donner <orc@orcoast.com>)
Prev    Post in Topic    Next
Prev    Post in Time    Next

> From: "Peter Smaardijk" <smaardijk@yahoo.com>
>Subject: Re: coksok runneth over
>
>Sorry for going on about something as trivial as this, but it bugs me
>no end...

dont be silly bugs i mean peter
or rather i would sooner be silly than sorry
& trivial is beautiful at least 3 ways

>Why that cup?
>
>A US way of saying "this is a tripoint"?

not generally so in my experience
& i think this cup was purest happenchance
nor was it only 1 cup
for amazingly there was a cup at both ends of ksok this time
first the ksmook cup & then the coksok cup a day or 2 later
& i have never seen or gotten a cup before or since

>A way of a tripoint freak that came here before Michael to make him
>wonder, just as he is trying to make future visitors wonder about
>what's north and what's south?

yes probably somewhat in the former instance
which may have been the unconscious inspiration for my own geste at the latter
& which i would also prefer to tell you about first
& then return to coksok

so please refer to the ksmook pix attached by number
& also to topozone & jacks book at the corner corner

1
the ever changing ksmook pothole etc facing south as we found it this time
looking for all the world like a golf hole & tee of all things

made me think of bob beckett & our everyonese clave golf courses too
& produced our first multigolf point at least in my mind

the cup is shown nesting more or less at the center of the asphalt patch
most recently reported here by jack which filled the pothole previously
reported here by me which was in turn left when the probably definitive
brass pin reported still earlier by jack in his book was evidently yanked
for its scrap value

the orange tee also looks like someones not terribly diligent attempt to
remark the tripoint position & tristate configuration for like the cup it
does align fairly well with the centers of both the mo road & the ksok folk
art tower

& it suggests a possible motivation of the cup bringer or rather the cup leaver
namely to advise the orange tee maker if he should ever return & seek
further that he had missed his point & prize but could still have both if
he had the eyes to see & believe what that funny golfcup grail just there
was indicating with regard to his tee

2
the cup wasnt attached in any way nor even very firmly seated but yielded
immediately to my grasp & began to emerge from the hole without much effort
when i first noticed to my further amazement that it wasnt the golf cup it
pretended to be but well what was it anyway

3
the ksmook cup is revealed to be some kind of a trophy cup or grail

4
& with the cup removed the hole is just a hole possibly centered over the
old brass pin & its subsequent asphalt patch but by now given all the
changes & confusion also possibly no longer centered on the old pin point

5
tho i had reason to believe the hole was still correct rather than the tee
thanx as usual to jack i couldnt ignore the tee entirely because i couldnt
explain it away so i carefully retried the alignments by eye & came to the
conclusion that the ksok leg of the tee might well be right on center for
all i could tell but that the mo side of the tee sure seemed an inch or 2
too far west

& i then used the cup & some stones to mark my best guess at the correct
point by the eyeball method that had presumably produced it but had to
admit in the end that i couldnt account for all the variation among the 3
points unless perhaps the tee had been produced by an entirely different
means say by gps homing in on the official & usgs validated coords given
in bus&ss as well as the topo quad

6
another try using a short length of pipe to mark the point by eye with the
camera facing west along ksok toward the folk art tower & coksok nearly 400
miles beyond where the second ksok cup aka the coksok cup to which i
believe the question mainly refers was discovered in the continuation of
the journey

perhaps the next bp seeker will find that a new marker has been installed
at one or another of these 3 putative ksmook points or even somewhere else
but somehow i doubt it

the usgs says in bus&ss that it marked the point in 1935 at nlat
36d59m54s75h & wlong 94d37m03s74h so that will probably remain the best
anyone can do if indeed they have a good enough gps to match it but that
would only give it down to about the correct square foot so we would again
not be zeroing in but only zeroing out over time from what is probably the
true ghost pinpoint found by jack & transmitted as carefully as possible in
3 followups by jack & me

but it is doubly foolhardy to make any prediction here first because we
pretty much already know where the true point is anyway & second because
even if someone is doing something smart or ignorant here with this orange
paint &or that cup we still dont know who is up to what if anything that
could produce a new legal ksmook position

>A service to thirsty passers-by?
>
>(In that case, is it replaced by the authorities in order to
>perpetuate this service?)
>
>And, of course, the 64,000 dollar question:
>
>DID YOU DRINK OUT OF IT?
>
>(and: how was it?)

ah but perhaps you confuse tripointing with sawanabori
& the synthetic arts with natural pursuit

but i can tell you the coksok cup from the crypt was so ugly one couldnt
even bear to look at it for very long
so of course i didnt drink out of that one
but did briefly own it also

& would that the government did replace the ksmook cup every night & did
give every pilgrim a chance to take an individualized trophy
for that would be true government in the service of everyone
but we still have a ways to go before we get there