Subject: RE: [BoundaryPoint] Places named after states (was Re: Glenelg
Date: Dec 03, 2001 @ 05:19
Author: Jan Krogh ("Jan Krogh" <jakro64@...>)

I don't think the Danish Vikings were so much involved with Jorvik. This was in general a Norwegian-Icelandic Viking territory. The Danish Vikings ruled more in the Eastern and Southern parts of England.  ("Gate" (Norw.) =street; "Gade" (Danish) = street; "Gata" (Swed.) = street; "Gatve" (Lith.) = street.)
But I accept that the Romans were there before us... Anyhow the York would not become York without the Vikings ;-)

Jan