Subject: Re: Glenelg, was: New Zealand palindromes
Date: Dec 02, 2001 @ 14:50
Author: Grant Hutchison ("Grant Hutchison" <granthutchison@...>)

> Having researched it, I can say that most of the Glenelgs in
> Australia and New Zealand (and there's a fair number in both
> countries) are probably not named directly for the Scotland town.
> Rather in the 1830s, a Lord Glenelg (Charles Grant) was Colonial
> Secretary under Lord Melbourne. The suburb of Aldelaide was certainly
> named for him, and I suspect the others are as well. (In fact, the
> city of Melbourne was almost named Glenelg.)
That makes more sense. The original Glenelg is and was too tiny place
to have generated so many fond expats.

> As far as the mountain named Gog, is there a nearby one named Magog?
But of course. The Biblical brothers are found together twice in
GeoNet's New Zealand data, both times just a couple of km apart.
(They feature in British legend too, as does a giant named Gogmagog
who was turned into a hill in Cambridgeshire.)

Grant