Subject: Re: Glenelg, was: New Zealand palindromes
Date: Dec 02, 2001 @ 06:53
Author: dtilque@nwlink.com (dtilque@...)

--- In BoundaryPoint@y..., "Grant Hutchison" <granthutchison@b...>
wrote:

> I hesitate to say that Scots were keen travellers - with the small
> matter of the Highland Clearances, they often had little choice in
> the matter. But the end result seems to be a lot of Scots names
> around the world.

Having researched it, I can say that most of the Glenelgs in
Australia and New Zealand (and there's a fair number in both
countries) are probably not named directly for the Scotland town.
Rather in the 1830s, a Lord Glenelg (Charles Grant) was Colonial
Secretary under Lord Melbourne. The suburb of Aldelaide was certainly
named for him, and I suspect the others are as well. (In fact, the
city of Melbourne was almost named Glenelg.)

However, the Glenelg in Maryland is unlikely to be named for Lord
Glenelg, and so probably comes from the town. Not sure about the
couple of Glenelgs in Canada. Could be either way.

As far as the mountain named Gog, is there a nearby one named Magog?