Subject: Re: Guinness Book of Records
Date: Nov 29, 2001 @ 19:46
Author: johnfrancisgriffiths@hotmail.com (johnfrancisgriffiths@...)

Q: Is it possible to describe the size of your problem, how many
kilometers of borders there are in Russia for example?

KRAVCHENKO: As far as the length of the border... Recently, we
celebrated Customs Officer Day. It was mentioned in the press that
the length of our border is 60 thousand kilometers. This is 1 1/2
times the length of the equator, or even 2 equators, I don't know
exactly. This is the scale!!! We have the longest land border in the
world.

NIKOLAI KRAVCHENKO is the head of the Nuclear Materials Division of
the Russian State Customs Committee. Faced with changing borders and
a recognition of the scope of the problems associated with nuclear
contraband, Mr. Kravchenko is attempting to introduce new procedures
and technologies to tighten nuclear customs control.

(I thought 14,4500 km seemed rather short - JG)