Subject: RE: [BoundaryPoint] British boundary markers
Date: Nov 21, 2001 @ 17:23
Author: Dallen Timothy (Dallen Timothy <dtimothy@...>)

RE: [BoundaryPoint] British boundary markers

Jesper,
As of the early 1990s, there were border markers on the original border between Hong Kong and China.  This quote is taken from my book:

"On the eastern edge of the city of Shenzen, China, the large town at the Hong Kong-China border, lies the small community of Shatoujiao.  In the village is a famous street named Sino-British Street, which is bisected by a row of boundary stones, on the sides of which are engraved the names of the two governments in power at the end of the last century.  Prior to the re-unification of Hong Kong and China in 1997, this town had become a must for Chinese visitors to Shenzen because it was "perhaps the only place where one [could] literally straddle the border between Hong Kong and China" (Cao and Ge 1993: 9)."

Otherwise, most of the HK-China border is a small river/stream/canal.  I believe I've posted pictures of it before.

There is an old National Geographic article (maybe from the 1980s or 70s) which shows pictures of these boundary stones mentioned in the quote above.  Does anybody know which article I'm talking about?  I think the article was about Hong Kong.

Dallen