Subject: RE: [BoundaryPoint] Re: Remember Nederland??
Date: Nov 12, 2001 @ 23:21
Author: m donner ("m donner" <maxivan82@...>)

yachats or again & old cape perpetua too
day 180

just returned to pick up my mail
& was amazed to find the only library in the country that is open today
my own new home library
so i dont have to skip a day posting to bp after all

& yes i do very richly remember nederland
jan & others
nederland colorado at least
which ironically is high enough to be switzerland
& far higher even than the entire dutch west indies put together

this typical little cowboy town at the top of boulder canyon was first
overwhelmed by hippies in 1967
when we stopped in for candy bars etc while we were all living communally &
separately in the nearby national forest
in a sort of haight ashbury gone wild

i remember selling my fairly wrecked car to the local cop there
whom we affectionately called leo the heat
& who was perhaps unique in his profession for turning the other cheek
whenever we broke the law

& about all those foreign names of american towns peter
it is basically just because we are all foreigners at heart or at root here

even the indians are mostly from russia i think

a fine book or series entitled
names on the land
etc
author forgotten
possibly somebody wismer
gives a very readable survey of the various periods & styles & movements of
town naming in america
but i can tell you the short story
which is that a hell of a lot of places got named in a hurry
& frequently named for the previous place someone was in
or some fantastic or ironic association
& rather few of all these actually survived to the present

there were some especially active periods of naming
like when the post office department forced every place with a post office
to adopt a unique name
or when the railroads had to name every milk & water stop something
different from every other one
& if there was a fad or trend such as exotic or poetic or military or just
homely names
well then that type of name came to loom large on the modern map
like all those funny countries within maine
or better yet classical city names in upstate new york
but that is basically all there was to it

it certainly has produced a rich treasure trove tho for playing the whats in
a place name game

meanwhile back here in yah hots
at the end of my recent little caor journey
where i am today resuming my attendance at perpetua haute prep
evidently a very high school
preparatory to learning higher still
i can report that the big old journey also will soon be coming to an end
or rather homecoming will soon be coming as projected
very near if not exactly at the antipodes
since i finally did reach jc on the cell phone last night
by chance in kingman arizona
where she was still getting her kicks on route 66
but heading this way too

so evidently she will be coming by the more southerly tehachapi pass
rather than the more northerly deadmans or central donner
a smart move in late autumn

for did you know
historically & even somewhat today
owing to the difficult topography of the high sierras
there have been only these 3 common major ways or most favorable crossings
of the whole usa between canada & mexico

other ways exist
but they are generally more difficult & newer & less used