Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Kentucky Exclave
Date: Nov 05, 2001 @ 02:58
Author: m donner ("m donner" <maxivan82@...>)

right anton
i had to run out to the truck to recheck the bible
& things were actually a bit more complicated than i just let on

bus&ss p110f indicates
6 or 7 years after the middle of the mississippi river became the western
boundary of the usa in 1783
& thus prior to the creation of ky in 1792 & of tn in 1796
va & nc commissioned surveyors walker & henderson to run & mark their common
boundary along nlat 36d 30m
so from cumberland gap or kyse it was run west at that time to a point on
the tennessee river
albeit 3 minutes too far north

then in 1819
& only after indian title had been extinguished westward of the tennessee
river
ky commissioned a unilateral survey along nlat 36d 30m eastward from the
mississippi
which was done as far east as the tennessee & rather more accurately than
the earlier sector was done
& in 1820 ky & tn settled on both survey lines even tho they had acquired
that major jog or disconnect which you have observed

also i believe nakhichevan may confound my recent offering to you about
there being no exclaves surrounded by more than 2 things
& if so i sure am glad i picked that delicious nit myself