Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] West Berlin NOT an exclave/enclave?
Date: Nov 03, 2001 @ 09:48
Author: Manfred Haertel (Manfred Haertel <Manfred.Haertel@...>)

Hello!

anton_zeilinger@... wrote:

> a german friend of mine once told me that technically speaking West
> Berlin was NOT an exclave of the FRG in the GDR, as it was not West
> German territory. According to him, it was politically speaking part
> of the GDR, only administered by the western allies.

Well, he is right and he is not. ;-) After World War II, Berlin (whole
Berlin!) had a special status. West Berlin was *not* Part of the FRG de
jure, but de facto. Everybody could move between West Germany and West
Berlin as if it was one country.

All West German laws were valid also in West Berlin except that the
citizens of West Berlin did not have to join the military (that's why
some West Germans moved to West Berlin...). But the parliament of West
Berlin had to approve every law decided by the West German parliament.
Also, the allies could disapprove the laws, but as far as I know this
never happened. The citizens of West Berlin did not participate in the
West German elections. Instead, the parliament of West Berlin sent some
persons to the West German parliament, they were allowed to speak there,
but not to vote... There were also different identity cards in West
Berlin.

Until the early 70s I think there were similiar rules concering East
Berlin playing a special role inside the GDR.

> This notion is supported by the fact that up to the building of the
> Berlin wall there was a joint administration of the city.

The joint administration ended already in 1948, while the wall was built
in 1961.

Best regards

--
Manfred Härtel mailto:Manfred.Haertel@...