Subject: RE: Black Sea maritime treaties
Date: Oct 24, 2001 @ 09:45
Author: Martin Pratt ("Martin Pratt" <m.a.pratt@...>)

The 'odd little box' around Seranilla Bank on Veridian's map defines a
"Joint Regime Area" established in a 1993 agreement between Colombia and
Jamaica. Although this area was created in the context of a maritime
boundary delimitation, I think Veridian are wrong (or at least
inconsistent) to show its limits as agreed maritime boundaries. Like
most joint zones, it is designed to be temporary in nature and exists
"pending the determination of the jurisdictional limits of each party in
the area". My guess is that Jamaica was reluctant to agree to a
full-blown boundary in this area because Nicaragua disputes Colombian
sovereignty over Seranilla Bank and Bajo Nuevo. My understanding is that
the USA gave up its claims in the area in the 1970s.

m a r t i n