Subject: K(c)ongo
Date: Oct 19, 2001 @ 23:47
Author: Grant Hutchison ("Grant Hutchison" <granthutchison@...>)

Peter:
> The word Congo comes from the people of that name. And they write
> it with a K.
Interesting. But I bet they acquired the alphabetic representation of
their spoken language from some Flemish-speaking Belgian missionary!

On a related point, does anyone know the truth or otherwise of the
following origin-story for the country name Kiribati
(pronounced "Kiribas")?
It seems that "Kiribas" is the local pronunciation of the old
British "Gilberts" archipelago. (Try it; it works - Pacific languages
are notoriously short on consonants and keen on vowels.)
But the British missionary who first wrote down the local language
had a typewriter with a broken "S" key. So he substituted the
digraph "TI" for "S", allegedly because of its sibilant sound in
words like "naTIon" and "poTIon".
This seems a bit implausible to me, unless the terminal sound
in "Kiribati" is nearer "sh" than "s".

Grant