Subject: Re: East Timorese exclave
Date: Oct 19, 2001 @ 18:23
Author: Peter Smaardijk ("Peter Smaardijk" <smaardijk@...>)

I believe it was in 1907 (I have copied the border treaty, but I
can't find it now), that the Netherlands and Portugal concluded the
border treaty here. As I recall, there were some enclaves, and the
two countries decided to do away with them. Occusi-Ambeno remained,
precisely because it was NOT considered to be an enclave (because it
was on the coast). If territorial seas and all the rest of it had
been an issue back then, this international anomaly possibly never
would have lived to this day.

I'll look up the treaty for you in the next days.

Peter S.

--- In BoundaryPoint@y..., granthutchison@c... wrote:
> See
> http://www.un.org/Depts/Cartographic/map/profile/timoreg.pdf
> for a nice map of East Timor (currently a "UN dependency" but I
think quite soon to be country number 193 on our list), including the
detached fragment of Ambeno.
> I don't know if/how maritime claims in this area pan out, but it
seems to me that Ambeno + territorial waters will end up as an East
Timorese exclave within the larger mass of Indonesian land and sea.