Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Re: holland n all oh
Date: Oct 18, 2001 @ 01:52
Author: Brendan Whyte ("Brendan Whyte" <brwhyte@...>)

It all comes down to historic practice. With old countries there are usually
various foreign versions of names for the capital, country, main rivers and
other cities. In Europe this may be becausde of a common Latin base, earlier
translation or transliteration attempts and errors, inability to say certain
sounds, etc.
Taiwan uses wade-giles, so its capital is called Taipei. China uses Pinyin
romanisation, so Taipei becomes Taibei. The actual sound is the same, though
Taiwanese dialect may be different to Beijing putonghua.

Hong Kong comes fomr the Cantonese, while the Mandarin pronunciation of
thesame characters is Xiang Gang.
Russians can't say the H sound, so say 'Gong Gong'.

I have seen various transliteraions of the Belrus city of Gomel. Some maps
show Homel.

There are two chinese versions for NZ:
one that translates the sounds: Niu Xi Lan
and one that translates the first word literally: Xin Xi Lan (Xin=new)

The French write Paris, so English say Paris, not Par-ee.
The English write London, so the French say Londre and write Londres!

Den Haag = The Hague.

South Africa/ Suid Afrika

BW