Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Re: holland n all oh
Date: Oct 17, 2001 @ 19:44
Author: m donner ("m donner" <maxivan82@...>)

>From: "Peter Let me give it a try...
>
>Just as wrong as calling all of the UK just England, or as wrong as
>it was to call the Soviet Union just plain Russia, it is wrong to
>call the Netherlands Holland. We've established that already, I
>think.

first major congrats & welcome back peter

i guessed you were in the field again

& you are very interesting as usual

here i think what we or maybe it was only i established is that the oxford
english dictionary speaking for the british & websters third unabridged
speaking for the americans do both flatly call the netherlands holland

whether they are right or wrong
they are reporting what the name holland primarily means in english

i agree that that is not nearly so important as what the name holland means
in dutch

but is it really wrong or merely ignorant of the english language to mean
this

it seems to me
if a word has a meaning
especially a primary meaning
whatever the language & no matter how mistaken the derivation or meaning is
then it is not wrong but right to use that word in that universally
recognized sense in that language

glad you recovered your capitals too