Subject: Re: re anchorage & great circles & voronoi
Date: Oct 15, 2001 @ 14:02
Author: granthutchison@cs.com (granthutchison@...)

Michael:
> & may i then safely conclude that the most capitally
> distant populated place
> on earth is the south pole
> or might those crazy voronoi lines punish this
> presumption somehow
Well, my suggestion was very much just a first good counterexample to Anchorage. I'm sure there's room for improvement in the northern hemisphere - although northern capitals reach higher latitudes than southern capitals, they do cluster in the Greenwich hemisphere. Seems to me the off-centre locations of Moscow, Ottawa and Washington would leave scope for us to head NW from Anchorage quite a ways before we began to approach a national capital. It might also be worth poking around the NE Pacific.
My maths isn't good enough to think of a way to type in lat and long of all 192 national capitals and get some equations to spit out the answer - in fact I wonder if this might be one of those travelling-salesman-type problems whose solution-time grows exponentially with the number of points considered. As Anton says, the point is going to be at a Voronoi vertex, and I think we could add that the edges meeting at that vertex must have a higher average length than at any other vertex on the globe, but I'm not able to push any further forward than that.
Perhaps I can do a bit of my experimental geography, and just plot some nice big circles around some selected capitals, and see where I get. Graphics will (of course!) follow if I come up with anything informative.

> also
> do we now have the ability to learn the farthest
> point on earth from the sea
> & the farthest from land
If we could solve the above, we could certainly just plug in some Asian inlets or Pacific peninsulas and churn out an answer to these questions, too.
The land point is in Asia, obviously, and I know the old Tuvan S.S.R. contains an obelisk supposedly marking the centre of Asia. But if we take Europe into account, I imagine that would shift the balance-point westwards. (I've also heard tell that the Tuvan obelisk is not correctly positioned in any case.)

Grant