Subject: Re: a few photos
Date: Sep 18, 2001 @ 19:28
Author: Peter Smaardijk ("Peter Smaardijk" <smaardijk@...>)

The exterritorial areas of the Vatican under the Lateran Treaty of
1929 are very interesting indeed. I posted several messages earlier
on BP. I have yet to encounter a full list of all extraterritorial
areas (since the Lateran Treaty leaves the door open to new additions
to the list) and a proper map of these areas. I am not entirely sure
on the status of the various areas either (there seem to be two
flavours, one truly extraterritorial and only one step short of being
real Vatican exclaves (i.e. not Italian, but not Vatican either), the
other one just giving tax exemption and perhaps some other rights vis-
a-vis Italy).

Anyway, the Lateran Treaty can be found at
http://www.aloha.net/~mikesch/treaty.htm .

The thing that triggered the discussion on BP was, if I remember
correctly, the alleged "electro-magnetic pollution", caused by
Vatican Radio's transmission centre near Santa Maria di Galeria, of
the Italian neighbourhood (they called it "electrosmog"). See, for
example, the radio's web site:
http://www.vaticanradio.org/inglese/enarchive/enelletrosmog/4may13e15m
arch.htm (here, you'll hear the story from one side, of course...).
The point is that the Italian ministry for the environment couldn't
do anything about it, because the territory wasn't within Italy
proper. At one stage, the minister even threatened to cut off the
power supply to the station. This put the Swiss guard on high alert,
probably ;-)

Peter S.

--- In BoundaryPoint@y..., <marcelmiquel@n...> wrote:
> I don't know the original title, but the traslation to spanish
> was "Rojo y negro" or "Negro y rojo" ( "Black and red" or "red and
> black". I've the original book. It's "The scarlet pimpernel of the
> Vatican", from J.P. Gallagher.
>
> By the way: i think that the extraterritorial vatican territories,
> like Laterano, Castelgandolfo... have a special status, but there
are
> Italian land.
>
> Does someone own an accurate map of the Vatican? and do you know
if a
> treaty or an agreement was signed between Italy and Vatican City in
> order to build the Vatican audience hall? According my map, the
> boundary line crosses at the middle of this building.
>
> Marcel.
>

> >Yes, it seems like Gregory Peck. Do you remember the movie?
> >Dallen

Because