Subject: Re: maiden speech
Date: Sep 05, 2001 @ 19:36
Author: Peter Smaardijk ("Peter Smaardijk" <smaardijk@...>)

--- In BoundaryPoint@y..., Anton Sherwood <bronto@p...> wrote:

> Are there any double enclaves? By that I mean something like this:
>
> --------
> --oo**-- where the three characters represent three
> --oo**-- territories (not necessarily sovereign).

> --------
> oooo**** The detached bits of cantons Bern and
> oooo**** Solothurn almost fit this description.

There used to be something like it in the Netherlands during the 17th
and 18th centuries. The so-called lands of Overmaze, consisting of
three entities: Valkenburg, 's-Hertogenrade (Herzogenrath), and
Dalhem, but in reality divided into more pieces (=all enclaves) of
land, were all divided between Spain and the Estates-General (i.e.
the United Netherlands) following the so-called Partition Treaty
(Partagetractaat) of 1661. This meant that every entity was divided.
How this looked in reality I don't know, but I remember to have seen
very complicated maps with lots of enclaves of the are. The situation
in the area that nowadays roughly coincides with the south of the
Dutch province of Limburg (and neighbouring areas nowadays in Belgium
and Germany) was really incredibly complicated back then. Does
someone else have more detailed information about this?

I imagine that similar situations existed in the past in areas of
dense enclave occurence (say, Germany, or Italy).

Peter S.