Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Lake Constance
Date: Aug 17, 2001 @ 20:20
Author: m donner ("m donner" <maxivan82@...>)

jesper

>Here are some more news from the Swiss authorities on Lake Constance and
>the Rhine.
>
>"You are right: to fix the border at 25 meters of depth was only
>discussed."

ahhh
then we appear to have fallen back to either a completely nonsovereign lake
very hard to swallow
or else a lake fully mediated to a trisovereign point by default
with some expectation of legal inevitability
slightly easier to deal with

maybe that was gideons presumption too

>borders on the Rhine: This question is quite complex and I'm unable to give
>You precise details. There is a great mix of agreements between the Lake of
>Constance and Basel (Basle in older English). In such questions You are
>suddenly confronted with centuries of history. For instance: Till the
>beginning of the 19th century the Swiss Fricktal - that has a border to
>Germany (today Baden-W�rttemberg) and is situated east of Basel - was part
>of Austria. Therefore You still have borderstones in the canton of Basel
>with the Austrian escutcheon.
>Now back to the Rhine: There are parts of the river east of Basel, where
>the border was determined between the Grossherzogtum Baden and Austria. in
>other areas it is the ancient W�rttemberg and the cantons of Aargau, Zurich
>or Schaffhausen. Or the German Reich and Switzerland. Sometimes the border
>was determined when a power plant was to be built. Or, only on the bridges
>a borderline was fixed (to know, who has to pay repair-works), maybe the
>border on the water was at a different spot. Or, the "Talweg" (the deepest
>spot in the river, that is changing, when gravel is moved by the stream)
>was determined as the border.
>You see, the question is quite complex and I really am not the right person
>to give You a satisfying answer. I just wanted to start themes. I don't
>even know who would be the right person. If I had to know more about, I
>would start my questioning in the archives of the corresponding cantons and
>the German Land of Baden-W�rttemberg in Stuttgart. In the German part of
>Switzerland (and I guess also in Germany) these archives normally have the
>name "Staatsarchiv". So You would have to write to the "Staatsarchiv des
>Kantons Schaffhausen" in Schaffhausen (Thurgau in Frauenfeld, Z�rich in
>Zurich, Aargau in Aarau, Basel-Land in Liestal and Basel-Stadt in Basel."
>
>Jesper

or before diving into such a difficult search
can we get a peek at any of the best & most relevant swiss & german
government topo quads along this border
to see if such anomalies are generally &or mutually recognized