Subject: Re: In the vicinity of Steinstuecken
Date: Aug 12, 2001 @ 03:17
Author: johnkelly@astralvoyager.com (johnkelly@...)

--- In BoundaryPoint@y..., "David Birch" <dbirch@c...> wrote:
> --- In BoundaryPoint@y..., "Peter Smaardijk" <smaardijk@y...> wrote:
> > Another very curious part of West Berlin was Albrechts Teerofen.
> > motorway that for a very short stretch crosses WB territory, re-
> > enters the GDR, and then enters WB once more. This site looks at
> the
> > motorway, amongst other things. Later, a motorway by-pass was
built
> > to avoid Albrechts Teerofen. The now defunct stretch was used for
> > stunts for a German TV series.
>
> That leads me nicely to the next map I've posted to the files area!
> It's the south-western corner of a 1977 map published by the Berlin
> Transport Authority (BVG) showing bus routes in West Berlin. Here's
> the link:

> This nicely shows the motorway by-pass (and includes Wüste Mark)
> although it doesn't show the old motorway at Albrechts Teerofen.
>
> However the main reason why I've posted the map is to draw
attention
> to the strange bus route "E" from Wannsee to the motorway junction
at
> Drewitz. I've still got the West Berlin bus timetable from my 1977
> visit and I've uploaded a scan of the page here:

> Why did the bus terminate in the middle of nowhere? (Was it an
> interchange point for GDR buses to places like Potsdam?) And why
was
> the service more frequent at weekends?
>
> Finally I'd just like to express my thanks to Mats for another
> excellent posting regarding the Bottcherberg exclaves - and I'm
> patiently hoping for something similar for Wüste Mark!
>
> David

I can explain what that 'E' bus was since I used it once. It was a
shuttle bus to take people across the border through the Autobahn
checkpoint at Drevitz. You got on at Wansee. There was one other stop
in the West, at the Autobahnkreutz, and then on to the passport
control. Everyone got off the bus and walked through the controls and
had their passports stamped and visas issued and so on. Then it was
back into the bus and on to a safe drop off point in East Germany
where you could connect with a local bus. The same procedure applied
for coming back. Since Drevitz was on the Autobahn, it was impossible
to walk through. Hence the bus.

Anyone could use this bus so long as they had the prerequisite
papers. When I used it, everybody else on board was an East German
pensioner. They could travel freely.