Subject: Re: Exclaves
Date: Aug 09, 2001 @ 18:57
Author: Grant Hutchison ("Grant Hutchison" <granthutchison@...>)

> I am looking for information regarding two Azerbaijani exclaves in
> northern Armenia called Yukhari Askipara and Barkhudarly (or
Azatamut
> or maybe even different). I have searched the internet but can't
find
> anything. I would like to know the real names (before and after
> Armenian occupation), how many people lived here and when were they
> occupied.

The Azerbaijani names of these enclaves involve special Azeri
characters. They are spelt:

Barxudarl[dotless i]
Yuxar[dotless i] [Schwa]skipara

When these characters aren't available, [dotless i] may be replaced by
i or (at the end of a word) y. The character [schwa] is an inverted
lower case e, and it is replaced by ä (UN recommended) or ya. The
sound now rendered as x in Azeri used to be transliterated as k or kh.
so part of your problem is the number of different ways these
placenames can be rendered. Try searching for:

Barxudarli, Barkudarli, Barkhudarli, Barxudarly,
Barkudarly, Barkhudarly, Barxudali, Barkudali, Barkhudali, Barxudaly,
Barkudaly, Barkhudaly

The permutations are even more ridiculous for your other enclave, so
I'd suggest looking at just:

Äskipara, Askipara

I've received hits on a majority of these in the past. (Yuxari just
means "upper" in Azeri - there's a "lower" Askipara as well,
situated in Azerbaijan proper.)

Both of these enclaves were occupied by Armenia in the first half of
1992, after the start of the Nagorno-Karabakh war, and precipitating
the tit-for-tat Azeri occupation of the Armenian exclave of Artsvashen
in August 1992.

The maps at the link Rolf gives are great, and have a scale marked on
them that allows an eyeball estimate of area: Barxudarli ~20 sq. km.,
Yuxari Askipara ~40 sq. km.

As far as I know, neither enclave has changed its name since
occupation. The southern Azeri exclave in Armenia used to be called
K[schwa]rki (Kärki, Kyarki), and changed to Tigranashen in 1990,
*before* independence and war, so I'm not sure if this new name is
Armenian-imposed or Azeri in origin - both countries have many
placenames ending in -shen.

Although some folk in this group disagree with me, I'm sure Azatamut
is *not* the same place as Barxudarli. The GEOnet name server data for
Azerbaijan locate Barxudarli at 40 59 36 N 45 13 31 E. The data for
Armenia give Azatamut at 40 58 33 N 45 11 53 E, a couple of
kilometres to the SW. If you do a web search for Azatamut, you'll find
it's a pretty solidly Armenian town, with election results, a dialing
code and a campaign to attract foreign industry. So I reckon it lies
outside the Barxudarli enclave. Certainly it's a different town.

Grant