Subject: Re: Tiran Island
Date: Aug 06, 2001 @ 17:59
Author: Grant Hutchison ("Grant Hutchison" <granthutchison@...>)

Andrew:
> This is an interesting situation as the island belongs to Saudi
> Arabia but is leased by Egypt and the only people on the island are
> from the Multinational Force and Observers (MFO).

I think the neighbouring island of Sinafir is included in the same
story.
Both Tiran and Sinafir were occupied by Egypt in 1950 (apparently
with Saudi consent) and then in 1957 the Saudis officially claimed
the islands as their own. Then in 1967 the Israelis moved in, with
the Camp David results you've already described.
But I thought the islands were simply handed back to Egypt as part of
Zone C (Egyptian police + U.N. forces share authority). Was the lease
agreed at that time with Saudi Arabia, or was it in place prior to
the Israeli occupation? Do you know what the terms are?

Grant