Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Brownlie's African Boundaries
Date: Jul 31, 2001 @ 21:34
Author: Harry ten Veen ("Harry ten Veen" <pa8km@...>)

> I have a copy of Brownlie on loan from the university for the next month.
If
> anyone wants me to look anything up for them, let me know. I'll happily
> transcribe short bits, but could photocopy, scan or fax larger chunks.

Grant,
I recently bought a topo-map of Nigeria (in a second-hand shop, I couldn't
resist ..).
This 1960 map is 1:1M, published bij Shell.

It seems that there is something strange on the border Nigeria/Cameroons
Republic.
The international boundaries are marked "++++".

There seem to be two parts, a SE and a NE, that might have a special status.
These parts have the border drawn with "++++" all around.
So the inner border as well as the international border is marked with
"++++"./

The SE part contains two regions: Southern Cameroons and Northern Cameroons,
having the provinces of Cameroons and Bamenda and also parts of the
provinces of Benue and Adamawa
In the NE there is another part with agian a region called Northern
Cameroons, having another part of the province of Adamawa and a part of the
province of Bornu.

Of course there could be an error in the map. Perhaps they should have drawn
the inner border in another way? But then, why should they cut the prov.
Adamawa in pieces??

Can you tell me more on this border-thing Grant?

gl
Harry ten Veen