Subject: Re: Berlin exclaves revisited: Erlengrund, Fichtewiese
Date: Jun 15, 2001 @ 12:00
Author: Peter Smaardijk ("Peter Smaardijk" <smaardijk@...>)

Lovely pictures, Mats.

Seen in the light of what has been said here about fences/walls vs.
boundaries, it is peculiar to see that Erlengrund has been kept
outside of the territory "protected by the antifascist protection
wall", but Fichtewiese is on the inside. The wall meanders in between
the two exclaves.

Just one little observation: the footpath in the
map "Book_Erlengrund_overlayed" doesn't seem to be quite in
accordance with the photograph no. 26 of the Berlin wall web site. I
should say the path runs from Fichtewiese in a straight line that
almost touches the NW corner of Erlengrund, and continues to the
border crossing of your picture 03. This path is a straight line in
that picture 26, too.

Peter S.

--- In BoundaryPoint@y..., Mats Hessman <Mats@l...> wrote:
> [...]
> 8: Steinstuecken
> 9: Wueste Mark
> 10: Nuthewiesen
> E: The pene-exclave of Eiskeller
>
> I went to take a look at what signs can be spotted of the previous
> exclavic situation at Erlengrund and Fichtewiese.
>
> As you recall Erlengrund and Fichtewiese were used for small
> summer cottages, and were run by two different garden clubs.
>
> Access to the exclaves were, as we are used to, rather surreal
> as the cottage-owners had to ring a bell at a door in the Wall,
> ask for admittance, and then walk over the otherwise off limits
> border zone to their cottages.
>
> This is wonderfully shown on this picture, that has been shown
> previously in this group:
> http://www.dieberlinermauer.com/berlinwallhome/wall25/wall25.html
>
> And here is an aerial photo of the area from the same source:
> http://www.dieberlinermauer.com/berlinwallhome/wall26/wall26.html
> The door with the bell would be at the bottom of the picture. The
> footpath, clearly visible, passes by a control post where the East
> German Border Police would check the access permissions, and then
> the path forks off to Erlengrund to the right and Fichtewiese
straight
> ahead.
>
> A more detailed map can be found here:
> http://www.geocities.com/exclaves/Book_Erlengrund_overlayed.jpg
>
> The dotted black line is the footpath, and the blue markings are
mine
> and intended to show how the following photographs were taken.
>
> Maps are from T Book, "Angerdorf och Exklav", Vaxjo, 1984,
> and are published here with the authors permission, by the way.
>
> Picture 01
> http://www.geocities.com/exclaves/berlin_egfw01_annotated.jpg
> This shows the view of the two paleo-exclaves from a point within
> the borderzone to the left of the footpath.
>
> Picture 03
> http://www.geocities.com/exclaves/berlin_egfw03_annotated.jpg
> This shows the spot where the door and the doorbell used to be.
> WB = West-Berlin, SBZ = East Germany (Sowjetische Besatzungszone).
> I have tried to mark the line where I believe the border was.
> Input from y'all is most appreciated.
>
> Picture 06
> http://www.geocities.com/exclaves/berlin_egfw06_annotated.jpg
> This shows a stone looking remarkably like a boundary marker to
> my amateur eyes. Supposing it is a boundary marker, again I have
> tried to trace the border. Can anyone tell me if it actually IS a
> boundary marker, and if so, what do the numbers mean?
>
> Picture 07
> http://www.geocities.com/exclaves/berlin_egfw07_annotated.jpg
> This, I'm pretty sure, is probably not a boundary marker, but a
pillar
> where a metal plate stating DDR territory was fastened. There were
> several such concrete pillars nearby. I have read somewhere that
> these pillars usually stood a meter or so inside DDR territory.
Again,