Subject: Narva/Ivangorod - Valga/Valka
Date: Jun 10, 2001 @ 20:29
Author: Jan Krogh ("Jan Krogh" <jakro64@...>)

Doug,

Thanks so much! Great to hear that you too are here! I enjoyed the Point
Roberts page, especially how detailed you made it. Nothing was left to
wonder about!
Narva is indeed a Russian town in Estonia, and thanks to the less
bureaucratic Estonian state, they now are far ahead of their neighbors in
Ivangorod (which once was Estonian under the name of Jaanalinna). You are
right that Narva and Ivangorod is separated by the Narva river, but there is
also some 100-meters with land border, making them twin cities, as it is
between the twin cities of Valga (EST) and Valka (LV).

Valga town has her own homepage on www.valga.ee but unfortunately it is
still only in Estonian language. Anyhow, if you are interested, you may find
a better and more updated map on http://www.valga.ee/images/ValgaKaartu.jpg
with a high-resolution map (1,2MB). It looks like that, at several points,
the border is passing through buildings. Some years ago I got this confirmed
by tourists who had visited the town. (I have not been visiting Valga/Valka
myself yet, but it is only about 500 km from where I am living, but...!!!)

Jan