Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Re: Border signal
Date: May 28, 2001 @ 08:51
Author: Brendan Whyte ("Brendan Whyte" <brwhyte@...>)

Ha ha!
On the chunnel train from London to Paris/Brussels, a day-return ticket is
substantially cheaper than a one way. So backpackers are tempted to buy a
day return andnot use the return portion. Except that the trian guards in
London are VERY strict, and if they suspect fomr the size of your luggage
(ie a backpack, suitacse etc) that you will not be coming bacjk the same
day, they actually make you pay the extra to 'upgrade' your ticket from
return to One Way. Yes, they make you pay for the privalege of NOT using the
return portion of the ticket!
(I was warned not to try it by the staff at Kings Cross station, and even
Lonley Planet has a warning about it)
The only word to describe this obnoxious pricing policy is 'suckful'.

BW