Subject: RE: [BoundaryPoint] njnyus by qe2
Date: May 15, 2001 @ 06:14
Author: michael donner (michael donner <m@...>)

jack

> Michael, Do I understand correctly that the njnyus point is at the
>intersection of the nj-ny line and the red line at the edge of
>block 492.

yes the red line is the 3 nautical mile line
aka the outer limit of state territorial waters since 1953
as discussed in bus&ss pp 44 thru 47

seaward of the red line lie the federal territorial waters
as far out as 12nm
or in other words until shortly after you lose sight of land

after that
you are in everyones land till just before you see the scilly isles
i do believe

& yes i should have mentioned that the final sector of the njny line as
shown by usgs should have been extended straight out to the red line
since it was agreed in 1887 to reach the main sea
per bus&ss p 78
& i trust the full tripoint depiction will be completed in future maps
just as has already been done properly for example at oruswa in
http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?z=10&n=5122165&e=412492e&s=200

i am quite surprised our coords for njnyus are so different tho
amounting to perhaps an eighth of a mile
so you might be able to tell the difference

but there is every reason to prefer your higher tech method of determining
them if you are confident of it

with best wishes to everyone

http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?z=18&n=4483585&e=590032&s=200