Subject: Re: Enclaves
Date: Apr 27, 2001 @ 16:47
Author: granthutchison@cs.com (granthutchison@...)

Peter:
> > 2)Peter Hering's fine Caucasus map
> Can you or Peter H. tell me where to find it?
I only know it from Peter's uploaded image, I'm afraid.

> In my old Soviet atlas (1987), I can find more enclaves in/outside
of
> Nagornyy Karabakh:
> Inside N.K. (so part of Azerbaijan proper):
> A) In the extreme n.w. part of N.K.
> B) Near the Byoyuk Kirs mountain (the transcription is from Russian
> and therefore not correct, I know)
> C) In the extreme s. part of N.K., about 10 km n.w. of the Azeri
town
> of Dzhebrail (again transcribed from Russian)
> D) Approx. 12 km north of east of the N.K. town of Krasnyy Bazar
> (this is a Russian town name, possibly renamed later) and 12 km s.
of
> the N.K. town of Martuni
> Outside N.K. (so part of N.K.):
> E) Approx. 17 km south of enclave B
> F) Approx. 10 km s.e. of the Azeri town of Agdam
Lovely! This ties in with Brendan's estimate of about 6 enclaves in
N.K.

> In none of the enclaves a settlement is depicted.
There's definitely one in your enclave A) on Peter's map, but the
scan has chopped it up illegibly.

> P.S. the name of the area is Nagornyy Karabakh in Russian (in
proper,
> scientific, transliteration: Nagornyj Karabach). The
reason 'Nagorno'
> came into use is that the old full name in Russian was Nagorno-
> Karabakhskaya Avtonomnaya Oblast (Autonomous Province of N.K.). In
> the first, short form, Nagornyy is an adjective and has the
> appropriate suffix, in the latter, full form, Nagorno is an adverb,
> because Karabakhskaya is the adjective here to Oblast. Sorry for
this
> little grammar lesson....
Ah, but it's a fine thing to be told stuff like this; thank you.
Of course, we should probably be getting ready to call it by its
Armenian name, Arzach. Certainly easier to remember than the current
Azerbaijani name, Qarabag Muxtar Vileyeti (breve on the g, both e's
actually schwa characters in the Azeri alphabet)!

Grant