Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Map and ortophoto
Date: Apr 25, 2001 @ 20:00
Author: michael donner (michael donner <m@...>)

this is a perfect flying dream mats

just to be sure everyone can get it
http://stadtplan.bsonline.ch/karte.cfm?PosX=4416&PosY=1083&ParaZoom=500&Jump=4&Z
oom=500&Type=ortho

first virtual visit to our first tricountry point

jesper raised it in message 26
& david first mapped it in message 33
& we have advanced upon it photographically & by personal accounts thru
messages 41 & 703 etc etc
but in this link we get perhaps our best look so far
& we finally do make the point with at least some sense of arrival

it is interesting to me that the boundary outline in the photo gives the
impression that the tripoint might be at the corner as shown
but the map gives the impression that the tricorner position might actually
jog a little east of that corner
so we may still have somewhere to go here too

but to settle this only remaining loose end
does anyone happen to know the legal geocoords or definition of chdefr

it is a fairly urgent question too
since i can imagine someone wanting to paddle the last 100 meters out there
in the chowdifer this september
navigating by gps & treaty texts while also sighting the position from the
best available maps

about that simple rule for naming the points mats
as well as the lines & areas
i like the system you describe
for ease & convenience as well as comedy
because all these alpha diglyphics etc are becoming widely used & understood
& at worst easily decipherable
not only for country names etc but on all levels

& i like to wonder how much data could be packed into such perfectly
sensible alphabetic notation or code
possibly with numerical signifiers of levels & clones etc too
but i realize there is a limit to what most people would agree is
intuitively obvious or even interesting
& that is probably as far as any simple rule could be stretched

but it is fun trying to talk cockabebble
& i do appreciate your interest & playfulness