Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] ok then here are some new questions
Date: Apr 13, 2001 @ 06:40
Author: michael donner (michael donner <m@...>)

well david since you are asking as well as putting things this way
i would say that the difference in legal status among the 10 provinces &
the 3 normally recognized federal territories
& also the single exclusively wet federal territory
aka crown or territorial or navigable waters both salty & fresh
however fragmented & however often unrecognized
does not make any of these 14 federative entities in all any more or less
major than any of the others

if anything the crown & federal territories might be more major than the
provinces
by virtue of belonging to & standing for the totality
but i wouldnt insist on this

i would go so far as to say tho that the 14 are equally the primary & only
federative entities of canada
& that all the points where any 3 or more of them meet are thus the major
internal multipoints of canada

so by this way of reckoning there would be a great many major internal
multipoints of canada
tho i am pretty sure the wet nbnspei point you suggest as the only
possibility
& which i have even seen indicated as a tripoint on american made maps
is imaginary & not legally real
since crown waters evidently intervene in that case

i have even seen a canadian government topo indicating that the nbns
interprovincial boundary stops dead at the low tide line in baie verte &
does not continue farther offshore toward pei
& i take the end of that line to be the crown nbns north or crnbnsn
tripoint reported in message 219
& just one example of about 3 dozen points where an interprovincial or
interterritorial or mixed internal canadian boundary ends at the seacoast
& where brian for example at least admits shaky ground

but i realize & appreciate also from an earlier discussion that you prefer
not to even acknowledge points of mixed constituency as being actual
multipoints at all
while jack & brian & i do prefer to do this
in at least some cases

so clearly we are all talking about differences of interpretation & taste
& perhaps there is a confusion of terminolgy as well

i only suggested the term major multipoint because i imagined everyone
might agree intuitively about what that means
but that was clearly my folly
as i see for example that you & brian already think it might mean 3 or 4
different things so far from what i think it means

so back to the drawing board
& maybe someone will come up with better terms
to sort out all the points under consideration
if only because it would be fun